Friday, February 25, 2011

Things to love about China: 23 of 100

Feet-Eating Fish

They wait in the watery-depths to attack. They hunger for human. If they catch a single whiff, they will swim to their prey and swarm their victim. For hours the monsters will feast… feast on your feet!

Doctor Fish, which are outlawed in much of the US and Canada, are common in Eastern Europe and Asia. These tiny fish eat the dead skin off of your feet. They are meant to help treat patients with skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis, but they are also great for anybody who wants to get dead skin off of their feet or get a "fish massage".

Garra rufa (the reddish log sucker) is native to Turkey, Syria, Iraq, and Iran. The fish have no teeth, so when they nibble at you, it is said to be painless. I had firsthand experience with the little nibblers during a recent trip to Thailand. My friend Kyle Mims described the bites as “little tiny champagne bubbles”. My take was slightly less romantic: When I felt the fish eat my foot, it felt as if hundreds of tiny creatures were viciously attacking at my feet (which, of course, is what was happening).

Still, I wouldn’t object to trying Dr. Fish again. After all, I have eaten many, many fish in my life, it’s time I return the favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment