Monday, February 21, 2011

Things to Love about China: 21 of 100

Easy Travel

It’s not easy to get out of Kazakhstan. Every time I try to escape the middle-of-nowhere steppe of Central Asia it costs me almost a thousand bucks. This makes vacations costly and a little stressful. No longer, my friends. The Hong Kong airport offers cheap flights to some of the world’s most brilliant vacation spots. The following is a list of a few of the places on my radar for the next few years. The ROUNDTRIP price of the ticket is listed

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - $205. You know that flag that looks exactly like the American one but has an Islam crescent moon instead of fifty stars? Well, that’s Malaysia. Malaysia is a great vacation spot with much to see including the Borneo Rainforest and the world famous Batu caves. A trip to Malaysia isn’t complete without seeing the Petronas twin towers, the tallest twin buildings in the world.




Tokyo Japan - $322. Japan has been on the top of my list forever. As a kid, there were always Japanese exchange students living in my basement (I think my dad forced them to paint the walls or something) and I have always loved Japanese culture. Kurosawa! Miyazacki! Nintendo! It would be my dream to live in Japan someday, but for now I’ll take a quick visit. I could go on and on and on about Japan, but maybe that’s a future blog (100 things Brock is going to love about living in Japan 2015).


Singapore - $169. The small island of Singapore is also a great nation. Singapore currently claims the fastest growing economy in the world and it is the least corrupt country. It is also one of the cleanest, considering you could be caned just for littering. Singapore’s beauty can clearly be seen in the Orchard Road District which offers a variety of landmarks, parks, shopping centers and zoos. As you stroll through this district, animals and plant life from all areas of the world surround you. The ‘open zoo’ concept ensures that there are no cages between you and the wildlife- and don’t worry, it’s safe, the animals know that if they attack, they get caned.


Bangkok, Thailand - $151. I gotta tell you. I just spent a month in Thailand and I would go back any day. To me, Thailand feels like the 51st State. This might be an odd thing to say about a monarchy, but everyone speaks English (in an American accent, nonetheless). It’s also cheap. I spent a month zip-lining, elephant riding, paragliding, snorkeling, whitewater rafting, monkey-watching, sea kayaking, beaching, and eating (God bless Thai food!). It’s settled, I’m going back.



Manila, Philippines - $221. The Philippines were named after the Spanish King Phillip and because of the European influence, your visit may feel like a visit to Europe (lots and lots of churches). But if this is Europe, it is a tropical paradise Europe. There is surfing, there are volcanoes, there are mountains, cliffs, and waterfalls. It is a vacation spot fit for a king.




Seoul, South Korea - $282. Now I have to admit, before 'Lost,' I didn’t know much about Koreans. Nowadays half of the students that I teach are Korean: So Young, Sung Hee, Se Ho, Mi-Sug, Ji Hyun, Yun Jin, - the list goes on. In the past few years, I have grown to love Korean culture (especially Korean food) and have always thought a trip to the DMZ would be quite interesting. Here I come Korea!



Sydney, Australia - $824. Australia is a little more costly and a little bit more of a jump from Hong Kong, but Australia is first on my radar and my tickets are practically booked for next Christmas. Australia has been in my sights since fourth grade and I cannot wait to get into the outback and see some Kangaroos. I would love, someday, to pack some John Locke Knives and walkabout through the great desert of Uluru. The Australian accent alone holds some mystical power over me. In ten short months from now I aim to be sitting in an Aussie bar, sucking down a tall glass of Aussie beer, and watching the clock strike midnight as 2012 is heralded in with a blast of didgeridoos.


No comments:

Post a Comment