Thursday, March 10, 2011

Things to love about China: 30 of 100


Massages

Alright, let’s paint a picture. It’s a bright sunny day and you are on your way home from work with a dozen friends. Your kids are with the nanny, so there is no rush. Your house cleaner is coming on Thursday, so there are no chores to be done. So you stop at a local pub for some food and drink. After you are stuffed it’s still light out so you all decide to head to the wellness clinic for some massages.

Alright, maybe this sounds like a dream, but this is what people do when they live overseas. Things like nannys, drivers, house cleaners, and personal masseuses are realistic and are affordable. Studies have shown that expats living abroad are happier and healthier in their new-found life. Even teachers can partake in these types of luxuries.

My friend Kyle described one night where he and his friends went out drinking after school, then went up for massages, then went back down for drinking, and then went back up for more massages. This may seem extravagant, but think of massages as a sort of preventative medicine- Like flossing or taking your vitamins. Your joints are relaxed; the pressure released; your stress will disappear.

In China massages are not only for the wealthy. They are seen as an important external medicine and are, traditionally, given to babies, elderly, and the sick.

I don’t think I’ve ever had a professional massage before (other than from a chair), but I have to admit I am excited by the idea. Maybe while I’m at it I can get some acupuncture too. Always remember: it’s not too late to drop what you’re doing in life and move with me to China (I have guest rooms)




No comments:

Post a Comment